Sunday, November 23, 2008

Mrs Justa and apple pie

The smells of the holiday are effervescing through the house today. 100_1990 100_1989We are hosting Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday and I have to work this week, so I have been getting ready for the special day.

Can ya smell this apple pie through the cyber waves?

It is cooling on the counter right now, then I will wrap it tight and freeze it for a few days.

The breads are already made and in the freezer. 2 zucchini, 2 banana and one streusel.

So I have a good start on the day. Mark and I do the weekly cleaning every weekend, so thankfully there is not much to do in that area. I am looking forward to the day, to meeting with people we love and share a few special hours.

The turkey is thawing in the fridge and the ham is still in the freezer. Mark suggested doing a spiral ham also, hey if there are leftovers we have a freezer.

In the roaster right now is a "left over roast beef casserole" recipe that I got off line today. I printed 3 different ones up, as we sliced up the left over roast beef from last week, and it should make 3 casseroles. This one had 1 can cr mushroom soup, 1 1/2 cups sliced beef, 1/2 onion thin sliced and sauteed, 1/3 c milk, 3 c thinly slice potatoes and mix together, top w/ 3/4 c cheddar cheese and bake at 350 for 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. Since my oven was baking pie and breads I chose the roaster to cook the casserole.

I am reminded of years long ago, when my mom would bake apple pie and breads for the holidays. The smell of the cinnamon and apple made  a comforting feeling in the house, like it was filled with love. Mom, I know you watch over me from heaven, thanks for guiding me through this baking day, I think I was the tool for her so she could once again bake.

Peace to all, Love Cindy

2 comments:

ladyjane64 said...

I can't belive Thanksgiving is only a few days away. Actually I just got back from my Moms, She has her Thanksgiving the Sunday before every year since the family is so big, so we are all able to celebrate with both sides if we want. My Brother has since taken over my Dads job of carving the turkey and I of course still sneak a peice during the carving, but I miss my Dad pretending not to see me. On Thurs. it will be my turn to do for my Mom as she sits and relaxes. Happy cooking.

Mark Krusen said...

And relax she must do. Enjoy the gifts of her daughter and family that she so proudly raised. I am glad you had a good time this weekend, and your dad was still watching you snitch that turkey.
We are having 14 over, and I am looking forward to a nice day with them all.
I will be thinking of you in your special holiday environment.Thanks for stopping by the blog :) Cindy