Are we over medicated. I sometimes feel like I am. Here is a list of the medicines I am on and the dosages:
- Arthrotec 75 mg- for my arthritis in my knee 2 a day at least 8 hrs apart
- Lipitor 20mg-for my high Cholesterol once at night before bed.
- Avalide 300/12.5mg- for high blood pressure once at night before bed.
- Omeprazole 20 mg- for heart burn 2 tablets once at night before bed.
- Norvase 5 mg- another one for my high blood pressure one at night before bed.
- Abilify 2.5 mg- for my bipolar disorder. 1/2 pill every 3rd night.
- Atavan take as needed for anxiety.
My reason for even bringing this
up was because of an article I just read over on CNN Health it is an article well worth reading if you even feel like you might be being over medicated. I know for a fact that when I take the Abilify I am grogged out for at least a day sometimes two and that is only on half doses. So if any of you out there might think you or a loved one might be affected by this let me know in the comments. It makes you wonder doesn't it? Sure some of the "conditions" I have I may have brought on by my lack of taking care of myself over the years. Like High Blood pressure and High Cholesterol. But then again some tell me it may be heredity. Gee thanks Mom and Dad!
I know for a fact the Bipolar isn't
something I signed up for. It is a chemical imbalance that my body has. It has probably always been there it is just manifesting itself more as I get older. Not only that, the medical establishment isn't prepared at all for the Mental Health issues our society faces today. My blogging buddy Stan has a rather long winded article on this that is well worth reading on his blog click on over here to read it if you have time. It just makes it so imperative that we self educate as it may be the only way to truly get the right answers.Everyone has an opinion about medicine somewhere in the middle lies the truth.