Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Mrs Justa and friends

"The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand,nor the kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship: it is the spiritual inspiration  that comes to one when he discovers that someone else believes in him and is willing to trust him. " Ralph Waldo Emerson. 100_0881 I chose this photo because of its representation of tranquility to me.

This quote on friendship is mind opening . When I am a friend to others, how often is the friendship offered by an outstretched hand. How often do we inspire our friends spiritually?

What kind of friends do you have? What kind of friend are you? What kind of friends are in your life?

I have never had many friends. Never lived a life like those portrayed on movies and prime time shows, where all the friends gather around for what seems like most of their lives, doing things, going places.

What friends I have are true friends. They accept me for me, they ask me not to be anything I am not. I hope they trust me and believe in me, and I feel that way about my dear friends too.

But, and this is a big but, how many times have those who said they were my friend in years gone by, were they really only pretending, only saying it because at the time they felt like it was necessary to say it?

I remember in high school I thought I had good friends. Not many, but few, and good ones. And what happened was we graduated, and we never spoke to one another again, we never saw one another, we never cared to share our lives . So according to Ralph Waldo Emerson, these were not friends. I longed for high school friends after I graduated, and I pathetically have studied my year book for years, looking at faces and names, so if by chance , I saw someone in public that resembled an older image of one of the 564 kids I graduated with, that I would be able to say hi to them, and ask, " Did you go to Liverpool High School?" and if they said yes, then I would say, " what year did you graduate?" And if they said 1971, I would ask them if they were so and so, they most of the time are that person, but they never knew who I was.

I was the misfit in school, the lonely one, in second hand home made clothes, the kid that other kids walked by in the hall, the kid who asked  the popular kids to sign my year book, ( because they were not going to come to me to offer to sign it). The kid who thought that I had good friends, only to find out after June 1971, that I was alone in the world.

We need to be good friends to others, we need to take the time to let them know we care, we need to let them know they are important to us. So as I sign off, I beg you, please look at your friendships, look at how you treat them, and don't let them be left alone in this very big world. Love , Mrs Justa

No comments: